This page provides background information and funding guidance for the NOAA Coral Reef Conservation Grant Program. Background documents and Grant Program Guidance are available for download as pdfs.
FY15 Federal Funding Opportunities
Each year, subject to the availability of funds, the NOAA Coral Reef Conservation Program (CRCP) publishes Federal Funding Opportunities (FFOs) in the Federal Register to solicit proposals for coral reef conservation activities, as authorized by the Coral Reef Conservation Act of 2000 (CRCA).
The CRCA authorizes the Secretary of Commerce, through the NOAA administrator, to issue matching grants of financial assistance for broad-based coral reef conservation activities that are consistent with the purposes of the CRCA. Pursuant to section 6403 of the CRCA, which established the Coral Reef Conservation Grant Program (Grant Program), the NOAA Coral Reef Conservation Grant Program Implementation Guidelines (pdf, 68 kb) were published in the Federal Register on August 12, 2010 (75 FR 48934).
The Guidelines provide general program criteria pursuant to the CRCA and establish that specific funding guidance will be published annually. Annual guidance, in the form of FFO announcements, provides relevant information— including eligibility, evaluation and selection criteria, and application instructions—for each grant program category.
Between 2002 and 2011, NOAA CRCP awarded nearly $69 million of Federal funding through competitive funding opportunities, including approximately $8.5 million for coral reef conservation projects in fiscal year 2011. Pending Congressional appropriations, NOAA CRCP anticipates making a similar amount of Federal funding available in fiscal year 2012. Details about the competitions, including the level of funding anticipated and matching requirements for each program category, are specified in the respective FY12 FFO (see next section).
To view a table of awards made by the NOAA Coral Reef Conservation Program in previous fiscal years, please click on the following links: 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013.
FY15 Federal Funding Opportunities
For FY15, the CRCP intends to award new grants and cooperative agreements in the two program categories listed below. Applicants wishing to apply to either program are strongly encouraged to review the associated full Federal Funding Opportunity (FFO) announcement carefully. The full FFOs are available at www.grants.gov and can be located from the "Search Grants" tab by conducting a basic search for the Coral Program's CFDA number 11.482. Please direct all questions about each funding opportunity to the specific Federal Program Officer identified at the end of each FFO.
- CRCP Domestic Coral Reef Conservation Grants (Applicants: Universities, NGOs, commercial organizations, and local and tribal governments.); Opportunity number: NOAA-NOS-OCRM-2015-2004207.
- Coral Reef NGO Partnership (Applicants: Non-Governmental Organizations with non-profit 501(c)(3) status that have demonstrated expertise and experience in supporting coral reef management in U. S. States and Territories). Opportunity number: NOAA-NOS-OCRM-2015-2004211.
- NOAA Coral Reef Conservation Program Goals & Objectives 2010-2015 – June 2009 (pdf, 2.52 mb)
This document provides strategic guidance on the CRCP priorities for FY 2010-2015.
- NOAA Coral Reef Conservation Program International Strategy 2010-2015 – June 2009 (pdf, 1.5 mb)
This document provides strategic guidance on the CRCP international priorities for FY 2010-2015.
- CRCP Performance Measures Manual – May, 2011
This document was completed to assist CRCP Project Managers ensure the results of their work contribute to the CRCP performance measures and that they understand the process to report the results of their work.
- Coral Reef Mangement Priorities for the seven U.S. coral reef jurisdictions – May, 2010 (pdf, various sizes) These seven documents articulate the strategic coral reef management priorities identified by coral reef managers in each of the seven U.S. coral reef jurisdictions. CRCP facilitated a consensus-based process to help local managers identify and prioritize coral reef management efforts for each location in 2009 and 2010.
- Coral Reef Conservation Act of 2000 – December, 2000 (pdf, 36 kb)
- NOAA Coral Reef Conservation Grant Program Implementation Guidelines – August, 2010 (pdf, 68 kb)
- Department of Commerce Pre-Award Notification Requirements for Grants and Cooperative Agreements (pdf, 92 kb) – February 2008
This document lays out policies and procedures for all NOAA grant recipients.
- Programmatic Environmental Assessment – NOAA Coral Reef Conservation Grant Program – June, 2005 ( pdf, 737 kb)
This document details the NOAA Fisheries finding of no significant impact (FONSI) for the Coral Reef Conservation Grant Program.
- A National Coral Reef Action Strategy: Report to Congress 2002-2003 – June 2002
This report provides a nation-wide status report on implementation of the National Action Plan to Conserve Coral Reefs and of the Coral Reef Conservation Act of 2000.
For general information on the NOAA Coral Reef Conservation Grant Program, please contact Jenny Waddell.